Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back Up Systems

There are many different techniques that can be used to start a fire under emergency conditions. The traditional techniques that involved a fire stick or fire drill which is rotated is certainly beyond my use. I feel it is a slow and labor intensive method. For many thousands of years people would bang stones together that containing iron in order to get a sparks to light some lose tinder. In addition, there are several other means by which fire could be produced such as a hand drill, bow drill, fire plow, fire pump, by use of sunlight and a lens, a fire piston or through the process of chemical reactions.

As a survivalist my main goal is naturally to survive and as such I believe in having alternate plans and backup actions in the event that the first one should fail. A typical situation concerns my ability to light a fire. I have water proof matches safely stored and an abundance of inexpensive cigarette lighters that I have purchased from the dollar store. Even though I have these reserves I still prefer to have a conventional means of making fire such as magnesium fire starters, after all cigarette lighters do not last forever.

A friend of mine sells miscellaneous items that he chances upon at a local flea market on the weekends and knowing that I was into survival he generously gave me one of his cigarette lighters that he had recently acquired. This lighter was a refillable kind and even had a small led light enclosed on it. It cost a mere .99 each and seemed to work forever. I contacted my friend and purchased several additional cigarette lighters to give to a few of my fellow survivalists. We are all using them to this day.

The same is true regarding my lighting arrangements. I have many different flashlights and lanterns however in this respect I am slowly converting to rechargeable batteries as well as to the crank type lighting equipment.

Another situation is my survival products. I have many 12 volt appliances such as a coffee pot, frying pan, taster oven, etc., however I try to keep in mind that I may not have access to 12 volts indefinitely so I have backups of manual pour over type coffee pots and normal frying pans. As long as I have a properly functioning vehicle I see no problem in these appliances however in the event that I can no longer procure gasoline to start and run my car then I would not have appliances to use.



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Joseph_Parish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home